Do you have a mole that catches on clothing or has started to look a little different lately? You may want to talk to the Santa Monica, CA, dermatologists at Santa Monica Dermatology Group about mole removal.
Reasons you may need your mole removed
Appearance issues often prompt people to remove their moles. If you feel self-conscious about a mole on your face, arms, neck, chest, legs or another conspicuous area, mole removal offers a quick, simple way to improve your appearance.
Moles located in inconvenient areas can become irritated if your clothing constantly rubs against them. Other moles may catch on jewelry or bleed when you shave your face or legs. Removing these moles can ease your discomfort.
Changes in moles may also warrant removal. A change in the mole's appearance may be a sign of skin cancer. Of course, a change in a mole doesn't absolutely mean you have cancer. Mole changes can be completely harmless or may occur due to precancerous or cancerous cells.
Make an appointment with your Santa Monica skin doctor if you notice any of these changes in a mole:
- The mole has irregular or blurred borders.
- One part of the mole is bigger than the other part.
- The color has changed. (Changes may occur in the entire mole or just one part of it.)
- Your mole is bigger than a pencil eraser.
- The mole hurts, bleeds, oozes or itches.
Ways to remove moles
Home removal of moles isn't recommended. Your dermatologist may send the mole removed to a laboratory for analysis. If your mole isn't biopsied, and you have skin cancer, you won't learn that you have the disease until it spreads.
You're more likely to notice scarring if you attempt a do-it-yourself mole removal. Dermatologists use special techniques to reduce scars when they remove moles.
Moles are commonly removed by one of these methods:
- Shaving: Your dermatologist uses a surgical blade to neatly shave the mole offer your skin.
- Laser Removal: Lasers are sometimes used to remove small, shallow moles.
- Surgical Excision: Excision is usually used for deeper moles. Your skin doctor removes the entire mole and the layer of fat underneath it. The skin is then closed with stitches.
Mole removal can protect your health, improve your appearance, or ease your discomfort. Call your dermatologists at Santa Monica Dermatology in Santa Monica, CA, at (310) 829-4484 to schedule your appointment.